Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I am not Hazare!

For the Independence celebrations, I played the "Tryst with Destiny" speech at my office, and it was a pleasant surprise that it touched me. Listened to Rahman's rendition of Vande Mataram, it fired me up.  The clip from "Roza", where the protagonist will not let the tricolor burn, inspires me. It was serene sensation that Patriot in me hasn't dozed of forever. But, why for Hazare, I find myself wanting in the support effort? Why?
Hazare, is a gandhian, all his efforts have been non-violent. He is an icon of civil disobedience of yesteryear about which I have read through the history books. What he demands is end of corruption, save my nation from self- annihilation, from the rot within. Like most of my fellow friends, I would so like to do a "Rang De Basanti" and terrorize these corrupt. Even if we walk this forbidden passage, we will not be hailed as patriots but branded as criminals, not martyrs but terrorists. The very people supporting Anna today, will despise us.
AND they will be right in doing so, for we took Law into our own hands.

I find an ironic paradox in Anna's movement, He is protecting Democracy by trying to force Parliament to enact a law, he believes will be the Gaurdian Angel for our country's soul. No matter, how righteous his goal is, his tactics are in the breach of the spirit of our Constitution. Why not get into politics and get the support he needs? Why not change the rotted system from within and bring back some glory to our parliament? Its gonna be hard act to follow.

I mock all these supporters of the movement( I am proud of them too), who support Anna because he is not in politics. All this mass support will dwindle away, if the saint goes political. Don't tell me that political change will be too slow, I have a faster solution, the solution the French used during the siege Bastille prison in 1789. Take up the Jacobian path and execute the corrupt. and few years down the line we will have a dictator with a great vision and who will uplift the country. But will the next Julius Ceaser, Napolean or Hosni Mubarak.

My reluctance to support Anna stems from the fact that his move sets a wrong precedent, the parliament should not be forced into making laws out of fear from external forces, no matter how justifiable there demands are. I fear a hunger strike from the Kashmir separatists, the Bodo leaders or the Maoists. Would you want there demands be met, in there own eyes they are right. This will be the precursor for anarchy and chaos, not justice and equality.

Maybe, my previous point is a bit too pessimistic. A bit narrow minded and some will question daring to compare Anna with known terrorists. I just have to say " One man's Terrorist, another man's Freedom Fighter". A breach of Law is a breach, no matter how big or small. More than that I am wary of the concept of LOKPAL itself. The very idea to have a super watchdog entity  reminds me of the Latin phrase " Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?". ( Who will guard the guardians?). An institution which can challenge corruption at all levels is very seductive to the shattered soul of my beloved country, but who will watch over it. 

I have seen people marvel at the economic rise of China and question the slowness of our democratic reforms. But Democracy is the tortoise against the hare, it might be slow but its robust and true. I crave for the end of corruption, but not by the means Anna has taken. If ends justify the mean lets just execute the politcal class altogether !!

1 comment:

Mohit Kohli said...

Superb bro.
the way of his protests are senseless. actually he is showing how week our democarcy is.
and by the way my only question to ANNA MUNNA is even if Lokpal bill gets passed will a milkman stop diluting the milk with water ?? will a traffic police constable stop breaching the laws for mere Rs 20.
I am proud to accept the fact that I am Corrupt and I can never accept the way ANNA MUNNA is protesting.